Sunday 17 July 2011

A Wonderful Weekend at Coconut Grove Beach Resort!

After a super busy week, we had a fun weekend excersion planned at the Kakum Elmina Coconut Grove Beach Resort!  We left early friday morning and our first stop was the Canopy Walk!  We walked on little rope canopies that were at least 150 feet above the ground!  Monkeys were in the trees but I never saw one.
After the canopy walk, we drove to the Crocodile farm place.  We got to pet or touch a crocodile.  To say the least.... It was a little never racking!
After visiting the Crocodiles, we Finally headed to the Coconut Grove Beach Resort.  The total hours of driving was about 4 hours. 
The resort was Beautiful!! The beach was private and gorgeous!  I had wished we saved this excursion for one of the last weekends, but we all really needed it and it was awesome to finally relax by the pool and beach!  We had a pretty good dinner that night and best of all we got ice cream!
Two other girls and I were lucky enough to be the only ones in our group to stay on a little beach condo right on the beach!  I slept so good that night!  The ocean rocked me to sleep!


Saturday we played on the beach for like an hour and then headed home.  On the way home, we stopped at the slave castle and learned about the slave trade that went on between the Africans and Europeans.  It was HORRIBLE!  Just like the Holicaust in Africa!  Our last meal on Saturday was at 1:30pm and we drove for 5 hours (traffic was horrible) and finally made it back to the Pink Hostile at 9:00pm.  We were all starving! lol  The girls in my room and I were so happy to come home to a ice cold room!  They finally fixed our AC in our room!  No more sweating at night!  In fact we all woke up freezing last night.


This Sunday morning started out very interesting.  We have assignment to do while we are here in Ghana and one of them is to attend a different church or religion.  Religion is a huge thing here and there are tons of different churches to choose from.  Today a few people in our group and I went to the Penta Costel church right behind our hostile.  We chose it because it was easy to walk to lol.
OH BOY!!  It was very interesting!  I felt like I was at a concert.  They had drums, the tooba, and piano playing while the praised they Lord in their singing.  They asked everyone to come make an offering and place it in a basket they had.  So we closed one hand and made it look like we had money and then made it look like we put money in the basket. lol They asked for offering three times and specifically said, "We need your money!  We are doing a church project and we need your money."
It was interesting to see the pastors/bishops/ministers or whatever they were and how they dressed.  They were very well dressed and all decked out in really pinned striped suits.
Both men and women would dance up and down the aisles and the minister would say "Hallelujah!" and everyone would say "AMEN!"  Then he would literally yell into a mirophone.  I could barely understand him!  The speakers were rumbling the building!  All I could understand was the word obedience and a man has to have a good women by him.  Every second someone would put both hands up in the air and say "AMEN!" It was very interesting!
The whole time I was thinking... I wonder if they know about the word Reverance?  The Holy Ghost could never dwell in a loud place like that!  It makes me so thankful for the AMAZING gospel we have, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints! :)
After they sang their songs and asked for the third offering, the services finally ended.  Everyone of course shook our hands and was so happy to see us.  A minister man came up to us and asked where we were from.  We told him the U.S. and he was so happy that out of all the churches we would choose from, that we had come to his church.  He understood that we were here for a study abroad and the service we were giving.  We gathered in a group and he put his arms around us and gave us a prayer.  He was very kind!  These are some things he said... Now imagine it in a lound ghanaian voice,
"Lord we thank thee they chose to come here today.  I pray that they will not get sick while they are on their visit here and that the ghanaian food will not hurt their bellies.  I pray that their families will not miss them too much while they are here in Ghana, and that when the time comes they will have a glorious reunion with their families back home and that they will come back to Ghana to visit their new Ghanaian friends.  Amen."
It was a wonderful, but interesting prayer!  Just so you know I will be going to our LDS Church next week!  Yay! :)
So today it has been great!  I was actually able to relax after visiting that interesting church.  Because we are getting credit while over here, It's just like we are taking a class.  So I was actually able to get some homework done!  I wrote a two page paper, got somewhat caught up on my journal, and started another big assignment.  Now I just have an article to read and I will be all caught up!  Oh and I also was able to fit about an hour nap in which was needed very much! :)


That is how our weekend went over here in Ghana, Africa!  This next week is actually going to be super busy, but I am excited to continue to teach my classes, teach our AIDS program, and amemia program!


Thanks to everyone who has emailed me!  I got them today and it made my day!  I love you all and miss you all so much!  I hope everyone is doing good back home! :)
Here are some pictures of this weekend.  Hope you all enjoy!





Heather, Bailey, Me, Lacey, Brayden, and Ashlee on the hike to the canopy walk


Hilary, Nikki, Mindy, and Lynley going no handed on the canopy walk.


This was a beautiful view from the canopy walk







The canopy walk!




We walked on seven canopies!




We had to hike through pretty green trees to get to the canopy walk!




A huge tree! I kind of look awkward in this picture haha




Another big tree




Our tour guide on the hike to the canopy walk.




The crocodile I touched!


Me touching a crocodile! AHHH! :)




Yup I got a little more braver to crouch over him.







Our final destination Friday night:  Coconut Grove Beach Resort




I miss this place already




This was the view right from my bedroom window! So close to the ocean! I slept soo good that night!




This was the view from the front door of our little cottage thingy haha So beautiful!




Our cottage! We had a security guard always watching the cottages because it is a private resort.  The security man told us that when Obama comes, our cottage is the cottage the secret service men stay at.



The Coconut Grove Beach




Hello From Africa!







Me and Nikki at the pool.







Mindy, Hilary and Lynley hanging out at the pool.










This man was selling gorgeous necklaces! And yes mom I bought like four because I couldn't decide which one I liked best haha.




Probably the best breakfast we have had.  It was at the resort:  Piece of bread, cheros, and egg!




The biggest dinner we have had so far!  This was at the resort and I think I only ate about half of it!  I feel like I should be losing weight.. but instead I just feel unhealthy and unbalanced.




Saturday we got some ice cream at the resort! Yay! Finally some dairy! :)




One of the two slave castles.  We had to pay to take pictures inside the slave castle so one girl in our group took pictures so once I get more pics of the slave castles I will post them.




Our group at the Coconut Grove Beach Resort




This was today after church.  Our last meal was at 1:30 pm the day before so we were all starving and ordered some lunch from the Pink Hostile restaurant.




This was my wierd but yet good chicken sandwhich... It was just mostly bread :)




And this was our dinner tonight.. Some pasta and shrimps dipped in thousand island dressing.  We could not eat the lettece, tomato, or cucumber! I cannot wait to eat a good salad from home!

No comments:

Post a Comment