Wednesday 27 July 2011

A fun week at Gray Memorial School!

Hello!
This week has been full of fun!  We mostly did a lot of teaching at Gray Memorial School.  I’ll start off by telling about how our Monday went.  Monday, we finally finished teaching our AIDS program at Manya Krobo!  We taught a boys youth group.  It was very interesting to compare their comments to the girl’s comments at the Girl’s Vocational School.  Some guys are very interactive…. Especially when it comes to the condom lesson.  They are very open about their life, but yet they want to make sure that they are protected from STD’S, or any disease by that matter, and I think that’s great!  It is so important for both girls and boys to understand how to protect themselves from diseases if they are sexually active. 
Mine and Megan’s lesson went really well with that group!  Megan and I introduce the ABC’s of AIDS prevention by having our group sing the Michael Jackson song, “ABC, it’s easy as 1, 2, 3...  As simple as doe ray me ABC 1, 2, 3 baby you and me girl”.  They Love hearing songs!  A stands for Abstinence, B stands for be faithful, and C stands for condoms.  After introducing the ABC’s, we talk about abstinence before marriage and what that means to them.  Some groups have really good comments!  I have some fun pictures of us teaching!
Tuesday, we woke up early and went on our way to Gray Memorial School!  Ye Haw second grade and kindergarten here we come!  That day we taught about Plants and geography.  We planted our own beans in a plastic baggie with cotton balls and water.  Then we had a big world map that the kids LOVED and we showed them where they live compared to where we live. Ashlee and I showed them pictures of snow and what Utah looks like.  They were quite amazed at the pictures.  They love pictures!  Then we made snow…. Yes you heard me right… we made snow!  Ashlee brought some mix that you just mix with water and then snow grows!  The kids had a hay day with that!
Tuesday night Hilary, Brayden, and I went and got our hair braided.  I can’t believe I actually did it!  I wanted to, but a girl in our group got her hair braided about a week ago and said it was the worst experience ever!  That didn’t stop me!  I was going to do something with my hair whether it was corn rolls or braids.  I was going to do corn rolls, but decided they looked silly so I went with the braids.  I didn’t want my whole head done so they just did the top half of my head.  It took the girls 3 hours just the braid the top half!  It is such a process!  Half way through, I kept thinking to myself… what am I doing????  And then I thought… You’re only in Africa once, right?!  Right!  It’s now kind of fun to have braids.  It’s not too flattering on me, but it’s nice to get up in the morning and not have to worry about what I’m going to do with my hair for the day.  All my students Loved it!  They all said with their cute little accents, “Shauntel, you’re hair is nice”.   Even a taxi driver said to me today, “You’re hair, it looks beautiful”.  The Ghanaians are too nice! Lol
Today is Wednesday!  I started the day with a good ol’ boiled egg!  My favorite!  J 
Then we headed off to Gray Memorial School to teach our last lessons before school gets out for the summer on Friday.  Tomorrow we are going to have a field day and play games all day!  Wahoo!
Today Ashlee taught about the heart in the body and I taught about bones.  I handed out the flower hair clips to my girls and bubbles to my boys for a little going away gift!  Thanks again for everyone who helped make the flower hair clips!  The girls loved them!  Even the teachers asked if they could have one.  After teaching at Gray Memorial School, we came back to our home sweet home, the Pink Hostel.  We had a 2 hour class today and had some time to cram a bunch of information into our head to take our midterm for our international health internship credit.  I will be honest, it was really hard for me to study and focus on studying when I’m in Ghana, Africa and being so busy!  But I got through it and that’s all that matters! J
Today I feel like we accomplished some great things.  Finished teaching class, listened to a 2 hour lecture, studied for an hour, took an hour test, and went to eat at the Dynasty, a very fancy Chinese place.  And everyone knows how much I love Chinese! Yay!  Needless to say, half way through the meal… I was not doing too well with the food haha.  When we got home from dinner, Lacey, Bailey, Amanda, Cameron, Ben, and I played our drums!  It was so much fun!  I now feel like a true African!  I can play the drum and I have braids!
This week was a great week!  It was fun to be with our crazy fun kids at Gray Memorial School!  Here are a bunch of pictures of this week.  When I upload lots of pictures, some come out blurry so I hope you can still see them!  I'm going to start with my favorite pictures... Our drumming moment tonight!  Hope you enjoy! J


Me and My new drum!  I Love it!




This is Lacey and her drum.  She is teacing me how to play!




This is Amanda and I getting ready to have a great time!




Here we all are :)




I took this picture today.  The kids always grab my hand or arm and just stare at it because of how white I am.  I love their little black hands compared to my big white hands.


Monday July 26, 2011


This is our group teaching the boys youth group in Manya Krobo.  We are all singing the Jackson Five ABC song to introduce our ABC of AIDS Prevention lesson.




Megan starts our lesson off by asking if they know what ABC stand for.







After Megan talks about the ABC's, I focus on A which stands for Abstinence.  I ask them what it means to them to be abstinent and how it can protect them from diseases.







Here's the boys youth group.




Yes this is a wooden Penis.. Lynley and Lacey went over condoms and how to properly use them.




Even though they are professional about the condom lesson, I love to watch the guy's faces and their reactions to the lesson haha.




These are some cute girls that were hanging out at the school where we taught the boys youth group.




And some cute boys.  I love the funny faces they always try and pull haha.




On our way home from Manya Krobo, I tried to get the picture of the sun sinking down behind the clouds and hills.  It was so gorgeous!




I was pretty darn excited for dinner Monday night!




Lacey and I ready to drum it up for my first time on Monday night.


Lacey, Ben, and I.







Tuesday July 26, 2011


Teaching our second grade class about plants.







Reading about plants.




They colored maps of North America and Africa.




A couple girls in my second grade class.  I could tell that these two girls had a strong desire to learn and get an education.




Teaching about plants in Kindergarten.




This is us building our flower and learning about the parts of a flower, or plant.








And here's our finished flower! :)



They loved to see pictures of different kids of plants.  They thought that was one of the coolest things ever.




Ashlee showing them where we live compared to where they live in Africa.




Making snow!




WALLA!  And now we have snow in Africa!  How cool is that?!




Ashlee started dumping the snow on their heads.  It was so cute to see their excited faces!








Me and some of my kindergarteners.




Lacey and I.




I was so excited to get to bed Tuesday night!  I definitely felt like wearing my moo-moo to bed, and it still smelled like home!  Best feeling ever!  :)


Wednesday July 27, 2011



Ashlee started the day off by teaching about the heart.




We let each student listen to their own heartbeat.  They loved it!




Then I taught a little bit about bones!  Yay!  I love bones!






These are some pictures of our second grade students!  They are cute!











I Love this picture!




This is the school grounds, where they play games outside after class.




These are like the little halls I guess you could say.  The classroom doors are on the right.




Moms making and selling food and snacks.




Garbage is literally piled on the playground!




We lined up our second grade so we could hand out our little goodbye gifts.




Me and the Second grade girls.




My second grade class.




Me and my second grade boys.




Me and our second grade teacher, Fatu.




Me and my Kindergarten Girls.




Me and my kindergarten boys.




Our Kindergarten class.




Our kindergarten teachers and class.




I love the flower hair clip against their pretty dark skin!




Love them!





Cutest baby names Jessica.



No comments:

Post a Comment