Sunday 31 July 2011

Last Weekend in Accra, Ghana

Oh my goodness only one more week I have here in Ghana, Africa!  It seems like I have been here for months, but at the same time, time has flown by!  Crazy!  I'm so excited to head home and see my family again, but I am sad to leave all the wonderful people I have met here!  I cannot wait to give my mom a Big hug!!  I'm so grateful for all that she does and has done for me!  I have the most AMAZING mom ever!!


Today we went to church for the last time.  We had some pretty intense lessons.  All of sacrament meeting, sunday school, and relief society/priesthood combined lessons were on doing family history work.  It was very interesting to hear what they have to do here in Africa to get family names.  To find family names, the people here actually have to travel out to villages and different tribes to find their relatives and ask them questions to find out about their family history.  How easy is it for us back home to search names, whereas the people here actually have to travel miles to villages to talk to relatives to find out information about their family.
Another cool thing that happened today... So one of our receptionist here at the Pink Hostel came to church with us today.  He had never been to our church and agreed that he would come.  It was just cool seeing him sit through all the meetings, actually listening, and singing the hymns.  He said he loved the hymns!


After enjoying a fun lesson at church, some of our group headed over to the Teshie Orphange.  I was so excited to go!  And oh my goodness how much fun it was!  The kids there were so sweet, fun, and well behaved!  I wish I could just take them all home!  No one at the moment is even looking at adopting them.  I wish it was easy to adopt, because if it was, I would seriously bring them all home!  I love them!


Yesterday (Saturday) we had a free day and could day whatever we wanted.  Most of our group went to the big Art's Center Market.  I did not like that market!  You have to understand that the market is like the size of costco with rows behind rows of shops.  People would literally grab me and pull me into their shop. 
"Buy something from my shop" they would say.  I would walk out and I would literally walk 2 feet and five people would say, "Sister, come to my shop.. I make you good price!"
Good price my butt.  For something that should be 20 cedis they wanted 80 cedis! 
All of the pressure was stressing me out... and out of rows beyond rows of stuff, nothing stood out to me!
I was so happy when we finally left that place!
Lynley, Ashlee, Hilary, and I went to Palm Beach Hotel and swam and layed out all day!  Needless to say I was worried about burning so I put on lots of sun screen.  I barely even got a tan haha.  We joke that instead of being 10 pounds lighter and tanner when we come home we will all be 10 pounds heavier and whiter haha.
Anyways, I had a great time at the pool!  We all enjoyed a diet coke and had some really good talks.  Lynley is such an amazing woman and amazing example to me!  I'm so grateful for all that she has done for our group on this trip!


Tomorrow we are headed to Mole (You pronounce it like Molae) at 5:30 am!  A 10 hour bus ride!  Wahoo!  Right now we are at the bottom of Ghana and will be traveling all the way to the tip top of Ghana.  We are going to be staying in the middle of the jungle with elephants, monkeys, and lions for three days!  I'm super excited!  I keep thinking that I've had enough culture shock, but everyday something new happens that astonishes me!


I know this is a quick post, but I at least wanted to share some pictures of my experiences today and yesterday!



My last day at church in Accra, Ghana Africa!




Lynley handed out pearl necklaces to all of the relief society ladies!  They loved them!




This is me and Evangellica.  She was baptized yesterday and this is her baptism dress.  So Cute!  :)




These are the Elders in Accra, Ghana.  Elder Lindsay who is from Orem, Utah and Elder Mlilo, I believe from Nigeria.




Yes I realize I look like a dork with my shirt tucked in.  I will make sure I make mental notes next time haha.




"I need me a strong black african man.." Everytime we get in a taxi this song comes on!  We laugh every time!  I don't need one because I have my own white strong man! :)



This is Laurance.  He is 19 and wanting to go to law school.  We encouraged him to go on a mission first! :)



The Teshie Orphanage




Blowing up punch balls.




They had a blast with them!




This is me and Nadie.  So dang fun and cute!






Playing with the Parachute.







They loved to be under the parachute.  They thought it was the coolest thing.  Thanks for letting me borrow it mom lol.




A ball accidently hit a light and broke glass all over the ground.  This is their brooms.  They make them from sticks or bamboo leaves.




This is me and Annita.




This is me and Felix.  He was very outgoing, had lots of energy, and fun to play with.  I love it when they smile! :)




They made balloon people out of these balloon things I brought haha.




This is me and Blessing.  The most beautiful one year old I have ever seen!  My heart melted instantly for her!  I wish I could bring her home!







Oh my goodness she is too dang Cute!!







Don't worry, after the picture I took the balloon away so she wouldn't choke.




Mindy made a bunch of folder games and was showing the older girls how to use them so they could teach the younger kids.




This is Grace and I.  Such a sweet girl!




Janessa and Nadie.  I think this picture is funny.







Group Picture!




We went to Paloma Hotel for dinner and had pizza.  Hilary, me, Lacey, and Heather... Hanging out all with our braided hair  :)




A Ghanaian Dish... Tasted like Playdoe.  I about threw up a little!




Hilary, Me, and Lacey
We Love Ghana, Africa!



Saturday July 30th, 2011



We started Saturday morning off with a wonderful breakfast at Frankies.  Best breakfast I have had in a month!







Ashlee, Hilary, and I at the Palm Beach Hotel




A wonderful clean pool to swim at!  We had a great time!




A view from where we layed out in the sun... very much needed!










I had to have my diet coke!  Totally made my day!



Ashlee and I laying out in the sun.




Hilary and I shared a Pasta bowl that night for dinner at the Paloma Hotel.



No comments:

Post a Comment