Thursday 21 July 2011

Time of My Life

So it has yet to be another super busy week over here in Ghana Africa!
I wish I had the time to blog everyday because each day is unique!
I'll give you a quick run down of what we did this week.
This week we did a lot of Anemia and AIDS teaching and less teaching at Gray Memorial School.
Wednesday was a long day for us!  We went from 7:00am to 9:30pm.
We started our long day on a 2-3 hour drive to a city called Kpong (something funny.. when we got to Kpong, there was actually a couple of people playing ping pong outside haha).  We finished our AIDS program with Kpong's secondary school (17-20 years old) and finished our AIDS research surveys.  It was very Interesting with the people I interviewed.  I interviewed one girl and two boys. 
We have a question on the survey that says "What a woman has to say is just as important as what a man has to say", and most of the students, both male and female, answer that question with "NO".
I have noticed that the men here do not respect women like they should.  I know it's the culture, but it makes me sad when I interview a girl and I can tell that she feels she is not important.
Today was the first day that I noticed men treat women here totally different than in the United States.  I walked into the bank like four times today, when men were in front and behind me, and none of them opened my door.  If fact one man just let the door shut on me.  He saw I was coming, but yet didn't even bother to hold the door open for me.
Maybe I'm just spoiled!  I have never really opened a door in my life!  I'm grateful for my boy and all men that respect me back home and have opened the door for me.
I know that sounds silly, but I am so grateful for the respect I have back home!  A women here in Ghana is basically worthless compared to a man.  I hate that!
Anyways enough about that.  So after we finished with Kpong, we headed over to Manya Krobo to finish up our anemia program at the Women's Vocational School.  It went pretty good!  Even though they speak english, sometimes communication is hard because our accents are so different.
I handed out some hair clip flowers to the girls at the school.  They ABSOLUTELY LOVED THEM!!  So THANK YOU to all who came and helped make those flowers!  The girls went absolutely nuts over them and the flowers looked beautiful against their pretty black skin.
After Manya Krobo, we grabbed a quick bite to eat and then headed to teach a women's Presbyterian (totally spelled that wrong) group.  These we older women and I really liked teaching them!  They were fun and lively, got involved, and asked lots of questions!  We taught them more about women's health, specifically:  Nutrition, family planning/pregnancy, menstruation, self-esteem/women's rights, exercise, and menopause.
Mindy and I specifically taught about Nutrition.  We played a game and had them match up certain foods to certain food groups.  Then we explained what each food group does and why it is good for our body, and why it's so important to get a variety of food so we can be healthy.


Today we taught the Ga tribe our anemia program and did interviews.  So far, these were my favorite girls!  They are about the ages of 17-20 years and they were so fun!  I felt like our communication was a lot clearer and they seemed to enjoy and learn from the program.  These girls are going to school to be cosmotologists and seamstresses.
Today we also taught at Gray Memorial and the kids mauled us!
After teaching, we had a very special and fun evening.  It was Mindy's 39th birthday!  Woot Woot!  Africa!  What a place to spend your birthday!  So to celebrate we went to dinner at Raphsody again and then went to the movies to see the new Harry Potter.  I never new there was a litte cinema here in Africa in the mall!  For not be a very big Harry Potter fan, I actually enjoyed the movie!  It was relaxing, fun to watch, and for a minute I thought I was in America haha.
It was a really good dinner and fun night!


Our weekend excursion should also be an adventure!  Early in the morning (in about 5 hours) we are headed on a four hour drive to the monkey village!  WAHOO!  I'm pretty excited!  It should be fun!  We will be staying in the monkey village and going on a couple of hikes, one to a beautiful waterfall!




Me and some of my kindergarten and second grade students.






Ashlee and I with some of our students.




We learned how to be a good friend and how everyone is unique, just like everyone's own thumb print is unique.  The put their thumb print on a piece of paper and then we gave them little magnifying glasses to look at how everybody's thumbprint is unique.







After class, students love to play games.





This is Kelvin (the one to the right) and a few other boys in our second grade class.








They love to play around and give each other piggy back rides.







By the time the end o the day came, I was so excited to finally find some soft serve ice cream!  Yay!!




The girls and their flower clips.









Group picture!  This was the group of girls we taught in Manya Krobo.




They loved their flowers!  Thanks again for all those that helped!




I SWEAR this was the hottest day since I have been here!!  I thought I was going to die! haha




It still astonishes me to see garbage everywhere on the ground!




The Presbyterian Women's group.







The pictures are kind of dark because is was night when we taught them.  This is me and Mindy teaching about Nutrition.







This is Irene.  She is the Head Mistress at the Memorial Gray school and part of the Women's Presbyterian group.




Group Picture!




My dinner Wednesday night!  The rice was wonderful!




Me and the Ga Tribe Girls.




This is where the women learn how to sew in the Ga tribe at school.




I think It's cool to see them use old fashioned sewing machines.  They are very talented!






This is where they practice cosmitology at school.




A few of my kindergartener's eating some rice for lunch.
The girl on the very left, her name is Elohem.




This was my delicious dinner tonight!  Thanks Mindy for having a birthday!







Mindy and her dinner.




Make a wish!




Everybody got to choose their own dessert!




This is good but it look better than it tastes.




Of course I chose cheesecake... It tasted wierd but good!



So that is kind of the week!  I wish I could write in detail all the things that went on!  I hope everything is going great back at home!  Miss you and Love you all! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment