Sunday 10 July 2011

The beginning of a new week!

The HoeDown for the First week here in Ghana:

I just thought I would let you all know what this week will be like which is BUSY!!!
Tomorrow (Monday) we start teaching our classes. Tomorrow we will actually just observe and get to know our class and play games with them. Lynley said this is the first year they will have a preschool class and I really want to have that class... but so does everyone else! Just as long as I have kindergarten or little/younger kids I will be happy... Ok I will be happy with whoever I teach!! :)  Lynley already visited the school and met all the teachers and she said the teachers and students cannot wait till we come! They love it when we come... break for the teachers... fun for the kids! Lynley said there is about 60-70 kindergarteners in one classs.... so it will be interesting in which grade I get! :) Little black kids are just ABSOLUTELY DARLING!! Walking them walk up and down the street and today in church I just wanted to hold one!! So cute and innocent!!
So we teach this week Monday- Thursday from 7-11:00am (we are hoping they will change the school time to 8:00am for us lol) and then on Tuesday and Thursday this week for sure we are going to drive 3 hours to the outskirts of Accra to teach our HIV/AIDS awareness program...
Friday- Saturday we are going to the beach, shopping, and having a really fun weekend!
We also will be going to the orphanage once or twice a week! So it will be super busy!! But I'm so excited to finally get started!
This weekend has been an adventure, but I can't wait for even more adventures!

12 Fun things I have noticed about Accra, Ghana Africa:

1. The babies and little kids are ADORABLE!
2. Mom's carry their babies in a fabric wrap just like a piggy back on their back
3. All women and girls of ALL ages carry/balance pretty much anything on their head! We have seen them balance a coffee table, water, tin full of bananas, and anything you can think of... they can balance while they walk!
4. The Ghanaian people are really nice and friendly here. Whenever we walk down the street they always say hi and smile at you.... even when they drive by in their big buses.
5. Most all of them look the same
6. The first day we got here we saw 2 men peeing in their water ditch (and that is why we don't drink their water lol).
7. Today we saw a little boy peeing over a concrete wall.
8. At church, the releif societ lesson was great! For what I could get out of it! They speak english but their accent is so strong I swear it sounds like another language!
9. The taxi drivers are SCARY and CRAZY drivers!
10. The toilet handle is on the opposite side.
11. We can't flush toilet paper down the toilet because of their bad sewage system, so we throw it in a bucket.
12.  They have the cool soda glass bottles!

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited you have a blog. I can't wait to follow your adventure. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SHANTEL! I am so excited for you! I feel like I am reading my own blog thinking my exact thoughts about Ghana. I cant wait for all the adventures you are going to have. I loved it there and I know that you will too and that you are doing great things. Soak in every single moment and have a blast! This time will go quickly. I will be here following you on everything. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete